Go to the Lyris ListManager home page
Current forum: regtalk |
You are: not logged in
Create New Message
New federal guidelines for reporting race and ethnicity   2008-10-06 12:50:18 <Jeanne Walther>
Georgetown University is in the process of installing Banner 8. AMCAS
has put out their latest ethnic/race statistics using the new codes.
The rest of the University will adopt the new race and ethnicity codes
in 2010.

Our director of institutional research thinks that we have two options
for the med students who selected more than one race in AMCAS:
count them in the Race/ethnicity Unknown column, or categorize them
(manually I assume) using trumping rules - We are not aware of any
standard rules and certainly the choice of any trumping rules has
explicit or implied values with a political/philosophical rationale.

I'm concerned about our longitudinal reporting and how we will have to
compare new multi-code race codes with our current race codes.

I would appreciate hearing how your school is addressing this issue.

Thanks.

Jeanne Walther, M.A.
Senior Associate Dean for Administration and Registrar
Georgetown University Medical School
Med-Dent Building Room NW112
3900 Reservoir Rd., NW
Washington, DC 20057
(202) 687-6336
waltherj@georgetown.edu
Fax: (202) 687-2792

RE: New federal guidelines for reporting race and ethnicity   2008-10-06 15:03:55 <Harlow, Yvonne>
I use the AAMC reports and our in-house database reports to construct my statistics. I keep my statistics in two ways. One includes the multi racial person in every race declared (possibly counted 4 times - black, red, white, yellow). The other includes a multi-racial category where the student is counted only once. The former figures will add up to more than the true student population. The latter doesn't give any race credit for the student. The figures that I use depends on the survey being answered.

Obviously, I keep this record as an individually constructed report. I think it is time that we stop this foolishness and don't categorize people at all!! I certainly won't put myself in a position to be determining what category is best to identify any individual.

Yvonne Harlow
UPSOM Registrar
Office of Student Affairs, Student Services
3550 Terrace Street
532 Scaife Hall, Drop Box 101
Pittsburgh, PA  15261
(412) 648-9040
[...]